Chapter 1 Follow up

It is so interesting how much nutritional and health information is coming my way after posting Nature's Kitchen last week!

I had my first appointment with a Chiropractor last week. I have been having some discomfort and Nick has encouraged me to find a Chiropractor because he has gone since he was young and has seen how much they help. I made an appointment with Dr. Tuttle of New Life Chiropractic. I had heard an advertisement for them on the christian radio station here and thought I would check it out. It was an incredible experience working with a Doctor who has a Biblical perspective! He talked to me about his practice not being a place just to relieve back pain or headaches, but to get the body aligned so it can properly and naturally heal itself!

After my first appointment, he sent me home with a DVD to watch with more information. I just finished watching it and HAD to blog some of his points. This is what stuck out to me - some of it was a little scary to hear!

- Sugar in drinks (soda) is the #1 source of calories in the US, which causes 1 in 3 American to have diabetes and 2 in 3 to be overweight.
- We in America have the most hospitals, rehab centers, medical schools, drug stores and specialists than anywhere else in the world. You would think in that case that we would have the highest life expectancy?? No way, we are almost dead last - 29th out of the 32 industrialized nations in the world. And this is not a result of our lifestyle choices - Japan ranked first out of the 32 and they smoke on average 3 times more than Americans. It is because we jump on the “medical treadmill”.
We here in American are experiencing "symptom care"or crisis care, where our symptoms are "treated" but the real root of the problem is ignored. [This totally makes sense! Just think of the last time you went in for a prescription - did they ask you about your nutrition or exercise habits?]
- Why aren't we hearing all of this in the news? “A lot of people are unaware that the media here in the US is absolutely, entirely controlled, so if you are believing everything you hear on the news anyway…that’s a whole other problem. … All of the independent media, so-called independent media is controlled by 5 different corporations.” Most of which are sponsored and financially backed by pharmaceutical companies, so THEY are not going to tell you things that keep you from buying pharmaceuticals - Yikes!!
- We need to know what to do when we are sick (and I am pretty sure he does not mean running to a Dr. for a prescription).
- Drugs do not heal the body.
- Only 6% of all our nerves can feel pain. So when your back is sore and you feel like you need a massage, that is only 6% of your nerves talking to you. If there is a problem, there is a 94% chance you will not know it/won't feel it!

It's all pretty interesting - definitely food for thought.

Also in my adventures while Nick has been gone, I have been going to birth classes each Saturday with my friend Jessica who is expecting Dec 1st! Her husband is on the ship with Nick and I am so blessed to be with her and learning all about preganacy and birth. In our class last week, we watched a documentary called "The Business of Being Born", which I highly recommend watching if you are thinking about having kids (you can view it free on Netflix if you are a member). The documentary takes a look at the reality of birth; the difference between a natural birth and having birth in a hospital. That is all a whole different blog post/topic! But as I was listening to Dr. Tuttle's explanation of where our health care is today, I remembered a quote from a doctor in the documentary. In the context of planning your birth he said "...if you want to have a more humanized birth, the
best thing to do is to get the hell out of the hospital.” !!! That quote made me laugh!! Just had to share.

So, again...I want to be clear that I am just researching and investigating. I do not want to hurt your feelings because I do not know what all of you are going through or what you have experienced with all of these topics. I do not think I have all the answers (which I am sure you know) and I do not claim all these things to be true,
BUT they are making me think and making me think twice before making decisions about my health and my body. Hope they make you think too!! At the end of the day I want to praise Jesus and bring glory to His name :)

Chapter 2 of Nature's Kitchen is on the way.
Becky


PS...







(a picture that he text me a few weeks ago).
I MISS MY HUSBAND!!! ...he is coming home pretty soon though, I guess...for a patient person!

Comments

  1. Becky I didn't get to read your blog as i have to head out to work but completely enjoyed the photos...i had to laugh when i saw the photo of the Life Aquatic as last saturday we had a birthday party for sue and her sister picked out that movie for us to watch!!! So good to see a current photo of Nick!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah back problems = me everyday! Just talking to Trev about how I need to get a physical therapist to get to the root of the problem, I really don't want to be one of those people who goes to the dr. for pain meds!! you are so right about everything else, funny how we are both thinking about our back stuff right now! xoxoxox Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soo proud of you Becks, my smile is so huge right now. Good for you! Grandma H is going to LOVE how you are taking up this cause, you know how she feels about all this stuff. You are inspiring me!
    xo
    love j

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the encouragement!! I got the Xrays back from the Chiropractor today...very humbling! I really need a lot of help. Am SO Thankful the Lord had me make an appointment and Go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering, does you insurance cover chiropratic, or did you pay out of pocket for it. I sure wish TRICARE would at least cover chiropratics! I sure wish I could opt out of TRICARE and choose a high deductible insurance instead and be given a stipend to cover whatever health care I wish to receive, whether it be Naturopath, Accupunture, Chiropratic, etc.

    I LOVED the video you speak of. I encourage everyone to see it too. Not all hospitals and doctors are that way though. I found a doctor that was completely ok with waiting on everything to happen naturally. And I found a hospital that was open to me not having an IV. I wouldn't have had it any other way, but if I am not as lucky next time around, I will consider a home birth.

    The book that I am going to be posting about soon, Nourishing Traditions is packed full of stuff like you just posted. It's quite overwhelming actually, it's very scientific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love you. and i am so proud of you. bethany r. will be so proud of you too!
    keep the nature's kitchen comin'! sure do love that book. i would love to do a study at church based upon the book! hmmmm...maybe we should pray about that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

The Best Things In Life Are For Free