Jessica's Baby Shower
My sweet friend Jessica is having her baby, Dorothy Wava King, in December. They call her Dot for short :) - I have asked if I can call her DW because I think that is pretty cute. Christine invited me to co-hosted the shower with her. Here is a quick glimpse of some of the details.
Had to show off all those cute clothes!
We played a game where you cut yarn trying to guess how long the baby is :) I had never played before.
I was not a very complimentary friend!
My fellow hostesses - Here is the menu:
Chicken Salad Veronique with butter roles (Recipe here) I love the green grapes in it and I added toasted almonds - delish.
Veggie Strata with cilantro sour cream (Recipe here) This was Grandma H's idea and was wonderful because you can serve it hot or cold. This recipe is really healthy and still tasted good! I subbed in zucchini instead of Broccoli.
"Jewel's" Salad - Salad with candied pecans, dried cranberries and goat cheese. Candied pecans in salad always remind me of my sweet mom-in-love.
Fruit Skewers - Pineapple, Strawberry, Cantalope, Green grape, on mini skewers (got this idea from a luncheon, but don't tell anyone I told you so!)
Then Coconut Cupcakes with an Italian buttercream frosting for dessert! I also made some of "Nikki's healthy cookies" for people to try. These cookies are great; no added sugar, banana base, with oats, almond meal, coconut and carob chunks. Great for a snack if you need something sweet and don't want added sugar.
It is crazy now to look at that list and remember making all that! Everyone really enjoyed the food - which was a huge blessing!
This is us before our second week of birth class! I go to class with Jessica while Stephen is out saving the world in the middle of the ocean, keeping Nick company :)
Now, after all that, I have a question I would like to pose to you. Please comment at the end of this post with your thoughts. Many people ask "Is it possible to throw a party and enjoy it too?". I want to answer with an immediate and confident YES, but sometimes it can be tricky. Please give me a tip or two about how you host and enjoy gatherings.
Look forward to hearing from you!
Wow-wee!! Becks! this looks amazing, I can feel all the love and hard work that was put into this lovely shower for Jessica and the smile on her face pretty much states she felt it too!
ReplyDeleteFun,fun, post! Love to you!
xo
j
p.s. yes it is possible and not to sound so cliche but praying before,and during your preparations really does invite God to the party and makes things flow oh so much better and it even enables you to blow of the bloopers that often come with throwing a party. AND the more you do, the easier it gets!
I think you are right about the more experience you have, the easier it gets. I definitely plan to get some more under my belt! :)
ReplyDeletesuch beautiful pictures becky. looks like it was a wonderful day. you really went all out with the food...good for you.
ReplyDeletei find that if i don't overwhelm myself with high expectations and perfectionism, i have a really great time hosting gatherings and sharing my house, food and conversation.
glad you enjoyed the day and got the photos to prove it
xoxo
How fun! That shower looks awesome! Great job to you and Christine. I bet Jessica just enjoyed herself.
ReplyDeleteNo advice here. Still learning!
Our entertaining is VERY simple around here. We often BBQ with lots of families. My way of enjoying myself is to simiplify when possible- I am totally fine with using paper plates, so I don't sress on clean up. I also try to have everything done before guests arrive. Mind you, I am NO cook like my mother, but even if it's simple dishes, I try to have it all ready so I can enjoy when the company is here. And personally, I do enjoy myself a nice cold beer :)
ReplyDeleteBECKY! You are beautiful and I love seeing all the pics come together especially since I saw some of the pieces! You are truly gifted and have the best mil to show how to have a good party!
ReplyDeleteAs for advice, I am that girl. "its my party and I can cry if I want to" so needless to say I am still learning also, plus I am bit of a control freak, something else I am learning through. But one thing I know is if someone offers to help take it, it eases the mind so much :) xoxox Love you!