Mace-in-the-Face
Hi All,
I write this post with a laugh and a little uneasiness!
While Nick is training in SC, we are able to talk on the phone. He has successfully survived 3 days of training and it is intense! Tomorrow marks a "memorable" day. Tomorrow Nick will be sprayed in the face with mace. Yup. They come up to you, make you keep your eyes open, spray it in your eyes a few times (let it really set it) then he is expected to protect his gun from an guy who comes and attacks him, trying to take his gun from him. Sounds fun huh?
Here are a few other stories I have heard about training thus far...
While studying for tests, here are a couple definitions he sent to me:
Use of Force Continuum
Officer Presence: Appearance, demeanor and verbal/non-verbal communication that create an atmosphere of compliance.
Verbal Commands: Verbal commands are in the form of task directions with consequences aimed at the subject.
Control Techniques: Control techniques are techniques or actions with a low probability of causing connective tissue damage, lacerations of the skin or broken bones.
(glad they threw in the clause about connective tissue - HA!)
Wednesday they did hand cuff training. They paired up and had to handcuff, take down to the floor, and drag their partner across the room multiple times. The first time it is done at 25% strength, then 50%, then 100% ( at that point, you are really trying to hurt the guy). When they drag you, Nick says they hold onto the hand cuff and your thumb.... So just think about your wrists after the guy next to you took you down with 100% of his strength. I am glad Tarik was not there (our friend who is immensely strong and would probably break bones of people - Tarik, you might be able to tell us what all this actually feels like!).
So - I prayed that the Lord would protect Nick's bones during the next week and a half!
While on the phone with him, his roommate started talking to him - I guess he got a cut on his neck and the bleeding would not stop! He ended up being okay...I guess the "Holy S***" and fun "F" words helped him to feel better :) And Nick, taking it all like a man, I am sure not cussing at all! (GOOD JOB HONEY!)
The reason I said I write this with a smirk and yet grief is because being trained in all this stuff is every guy's dream, but is a little disconcerning for his wife :) But man, Nick will have stories to tell after this! I just love my husband.
So, if you wake up tomorrow and your a little sore, or your eyes are a little tired, remember nick :D that should make us all feel a little better :D
love you all! thanks for reading!! I felt like I could not go another day with these stories without writing!
o.k. i will now begin to pray until his day is over tomorrow... that the Lord will give him supernatural strength and endurance tomorrow confounding those watching. Lord encamp those angels... please :)
ReplyDeletelove,
j
xxoo
Intense...I guess you will never not feel protected when Nick is with you! It was SO great seeing you in SB Becky! You are a precious doll!! I love you...
ReplyDeletewhew! oh man-- so gnarly!
ReplyDeletethankfully he has you for his wife--- you handle it all with such stride and prayer all at the same time :)
Nick: prayin' for ya! and can't wait to hear some stories! :)
Gosh!! That's intense.. I can't believe they make them take mace in the face! Ouch! I will pray for him too.. we love you nick!!
ReplyDelete