a little trip to Molokai

First - Nick survived the Mace! I got to talk with him that afternoon and his visual explanation helped me to better sympathize:
"It was like bobbing for french fries in a McDonalds fryer". That seems to sum up that lovely experience quite well.

He had the weekend off and will go back this week for 4 more days of training. He said this week they will do a mock-boarding where they board a boat with officers hidden like criminals throughout and they have to react to the situation....an onsite Paintball game if you will :) So I would imagine that being the highlight of his two weeks in South Carolina!

This past weekend the Lord took me on a little trip, just me and Him. The woman's ministry at our church One Love had a woman's retreat on the little island of Molokai. The island is a half hour ride in a prop-plane away from Oahu and a rock's throw from Lanai. I waited in the small Commuter terminal of the airport Friday morning, making some friends along the way. A man came to the gate "Whose flying to Molokai?" - Me and another woman walked up and walked out to board.
 I love the Lord because He knows my heart and He fills those desires that are in my heart that only HE knows about! 
Me and Dawn (the other woman, a local to Molokai) walk outside to our plane, a 10 seater :D The pilot had his seat, then 7 others left empty, with Dawn and I in the back two seats. I felt like I was riding in a private jet. The best part about the ride was there were windows all around, so we got the most beautiful tour of Oahu, almost like those helicopter rides that you buy! Flew over Diamond head and the east side of the island.

I arrived to Molokai Friday morning. When we arrived to the retreat center (really just individual cabins on the beach) some women headed back for the car - I followed and found out they were going to go drive around the island and explore, so I jumped in! A christian family there on the island let us borrow their minivan. The kicker: The van did not have AC or internal air flow. It did have two sliding doors on each side, though, so we drove around the island with the sliding doors open :) it was awesome.

I was fun to hang with woman I already knew and meeting some others; but the best part of the trip was I had some great alone time -  SO amazing and so needed.
Saturday we had 2 sessions, walked around town - I went on a crazy hike over-looking the pennisula where father Damien helped with the lepers who lived there. That night we worshipped under the stars (which you can see as clear as day because there are no city lights to diminish their shine).

Today (Sunday) I flew back home. Before the flight, two girls from the retreat asked me how/where I met my husband. When I said Santa Barbara their eyes got so big - they are from SB!! :D :D They both moved within the last year to go to college here. It was fun talking about how we all wanted Kahuna burgers("I love the owner!" ;( yup, that's my dad-in-law!!), Natural Cafe salads, and Traders. I told them I will have to bring them over to my house, so I can make us Goleta salads and we can all reminisce ;)

This is from our retreat site. Maui is the island in the distance on the left, Lanai on the right.


ha! shaka from Halava (when we went driving around the island)



This is the pennisula where Lepers lived (in the 1900s i think?) Even to this day, regular lay people cannot access it unless they are invited by the lepers and families that still live there.

On our hike on the way down toward the pennisula. The water makes me think that I never saw real "blue" before.


This is cruzing Molokai with the van door open ;)

Back at "camp". This picture really represents the weekend for me - just me and the Lord. 


I am sitting in a plane looking out the window at the other plane that looks just like ours, to give you an idea of the size.


Looking back on Oahu as we arrive home. SO glad to be home! 'Home'. :) just to be where the Lord has me and I know that right now, it is here!

To sum it up: The Lord speaks. I want to make sure to position myself so I can hear Him.

...love you all. thank you so much for your prayers.

Comments

  1. How sweet of the Lord to give you people from home to encourage you and remind you that He knows you soooo well! :)

    Praying for you lots in this next week Becks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh WOW! PURE blessings everywhere Becky, you truly are an adventuring kind of gal! Molokai looks simply beautiful, and meeting those girls from S.B! How fun, every detail perfect.
    Love you so much,
    hugs and love to you
    j

    ReplyDelete
  3. the Lord is so sweet in all the details. i love how He takes care of you...us! can't wait for the end of this week when you get to see your hubby again!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing like the alone times of retreat with Papa God.
    I am so glad you got to get away with Him. It looks beautiful.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds awesome and amazing, what a blessing! The Lord loves you so much, Becky... He knows what we need even more than we do and he is so good :) Sending love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man-- I think I'll trust Nick's comparison of the mase experience if at all possible ;) neither of those sound like adventures i'm down for--- though your adventure sounds quite refreshing and perfectly timed! oh man-- so rad girl! :)
    I love that you've seen blue now! :) :) that feeling is remarkable-- that nothing compares to what you are currently experiencing! :)
    He is so good to you--- can't wait to see photos NEXT WEEK :) :) :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

The Best Things In Life Are For Free