Celebrating Freedom with those who Fight for it

Me and my new friend Christine decided to hang out for the fourth. Christine's husband is on the Jarvis too, so we have a lot to talk about with the guys underway. 

0900 North Shore - Sunset Beach. Laid out, jumped in the water, and ate some snacks. 
1000 - We lay there and start looking around...we realize there are lots of people with their long boards and paddles coming out of the wood work. We did not really know what was going on.
1030 - Found ourself in the middle of the staging area for a paddle board race! With a loud blast of the big blow-horn,  50-100 people headed to the water with their paddles in tow.  It was like an exodus of some kind! 


I love this picture...see that little pink chair on front of his board? That is a kid-size lawn chair that is screwed down and a little girl sitting in it, along for the ride!

1230 - Deciding we did not want to burn to a crisp,  we headed back to her house. 
1600 - We leave to go to Schofield Army base, where they were having a huge live concert and outdoor fair. The concert featured country music singer Billy Ray Cyrus (I just knew him as Hanna Montana's dad...) He sings "Ache Breaky Heart" (for those of you who aren't familiar).
1830 - You would not believe me...sitting there on a blanket in the middle of this huge field with thousands of army families and Billy Ray Cyrus at one point singing, "I want my Mullet Back"... Powerful words. Not sure how well received that was in Hawaii, but hey, I guess he was just sharing his heart :)

This is Christine and I sitting on the field, under a blanket because it started raining...a lot. Although I love that you can see we got a little more than sun kissed earlier that day!

After that there were quite a few ceremonial procedings. One of which was really neat! They presented (first), the first official United States flag and said a few words about what happened during it's creation. Then the second flag (with more stars), then the third...until we reached the fifty stared flag. Then they had the flag of each of the fifty states represented, reading the state's name as it came onto the stage. Everyone cheered for their home state - so when they said "The Golden State, California!" I was excited and loud :) Had to give a little shout out for Missouri too.

That was all really neat to see.
We all gave a huge round of applause for all those whose husbands, wives, brothers and sisters are on deployment right now overseas... that was a good reminder to be thankful for those who are away, very far away in foreign lands.

2100 - The huge fireworks show. 

After all that I was beat! It was a fun way to celebrate the fourth of July in a new place. Missed some things that I am used to having, but it was fun and new and a fun story to tell.
Last year's fourth was one that I will always remember and I was just thinking of some fun memories Nick and I have had (It is Nick's favorite holiday).
But I was so thankful I had someone to celebrate with!

Comments

  1. oh Beck, thanks soo much for sharing your beautiful day....
    what a memorable fourth for you in spite of Nick being away and you are a great,great,great photographer AND writer.
    I love you!
    j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two Hawaiian babes - making the best of their day. I love it, your attitude, writing and the pictures. Thank you! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe... i love that! your seeking to see the good in Cyrus' singing that he wanted his mullet back... lol!!! i can just imagine... lol! ha!
    what a fun time you and Cristine had! so cool! love the photos! especially the photo of the flag during the concert! so rad!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you had someone to celebrate it with too! The Lord is truly good to YOU! Thanks for sharing your day with us. It is such a joy!
    Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July

The Best Things In Life Are For Free